CARS Protection Plus
The following information reflects the most recent version of our Service Contracts. Coverage under your specific contract may vary. See your Service Contract for specific coverage details.
For additional information on applying for a CARS Protection Plus service contract speak to your dealer or call 888-335-6838. See your local dealer for details, pricing and availability.
Lubricated parts contained within the engine block; cylinder heads; intake manifold; pistons; piston rings; wrist pins; connecting rods and bearings; crank-shaft and bearings; camshaft and bearings; timing chain, guides, tensioner and gears; valve covers; rocker arms/shafts and bushings; intake/exhaust valves and valve springs, seats, guides, push rods and hydraulic lifters; oil pump; and oil pan. Engine block only if damaged by a covered component internal to the engine block. NOT COVERED: timing belt, fuel injectors, turbo chargers, supercharger, EGR cooler and oil cooler.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE
Lubricated parts contained within the transmission or transfer case housing; torque converter; bands; pump; pump housing; carrier assembly; planetary gears; chain; drums; reaction shaft; governor; valve body; and servo assemblies. Transmission/transfer case only if damaged by a covered component internal to the transmission/transfer case housing.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE
Lubricated parts contained within the transmission or transfer case housing; main shaft; counter shaft; all gears; chain; input shaft; hub assemblies; synchronizers; shift rails; shift fork; and internal transmission bearings. Transmission/transfer case only if damaged by a covered component internal to the transmission/transfer case housing. NOT COVERED: manual clutch and related components.
DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLYLubricated parts contained within the front and rear drive axle housing; pinion bearings; wheel bearings; side carrier bearings; ring and pinion; side gears; spider gears and case; drive shaft; universal joints; constant velocity joints; and 4x4 hubs. Front or rear drive axle housing only if damaged by a lubricated part contained within the drive axle housing.
SEALS & GASKETS
Seals and gaskets are covered only when required in conjunction with the replacement of a covered component. Additionally, cylinder head gaskets are covered for combustion and coolant leaks. Intake manifold gaskets are covered for coolant leaks only. NOT COVERED: oil and vacuum leaks.
The authorized time for a repair will be based on the ProDemand labor guide. The hourly labor rate will be the repair facility’s rate up to $60.00 per hour. Should Your repair facility’s rate exceed this amount, You are responsible for the difference. NOT COVERED: tear-down and diagnosis.
The Service Contract Holder will be reimbursed $25.00 for each eight hours of ProDemand labor guide time to repair or replace the covered component with a maximum benefit of $300.00 per claim, if proof of rental is provided with an authorized claim. Down time, regardless of reason, is not included.
We will reimburse up to a maximum of $50.00, if proof of towing is provided with an authorized claim.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. COMPONENTS AND EXPENSES NOT COVERED:
- Components not listed regardless of failure.
- Component failures occurring before CARS Protection Plus, Inc. (“CARS”) approves this Service Contract application are NOT covered. CARS does NOT warrant the vehicle at the time of purchase.
- Any repair done without prior authorization from CARS.
- Vehicles modified or altered from the original manufacturer’s specifications, including but not limited to the following modifications: frame, suspension or body lift kits, wheels/tires (not to OEM specifications), emission system, exhaust system, engine, transmission and drive axle, regardless of when modifications or alterations were performed.
- Diagnostic and tear-down charges.
- Damage/failure to a covered component caused by a NON-covered component.
- Repairs performed due to improper diagnosis.
- Fluids, Freon and filters.
- Damage resulting from any previous improper repair.
- Parts and labor needed to maintain Your vehicle (oil, filters, etc.).
- Parts of the vehicle subject to regular maintenance (belts, hoses, etc.).
- Damage from flood, fire and/or accident, regardless of the cause.
- Damage from conditions of the environment, including rust and corrosion.
- Damage from altering, misusing or tampering with the vehicle, making improper adjustments or using improper fuels or fluids.
- Damage resulting from failure to maintain Your vehicle according to Your manufacturer’s maintenance requirements.
- Damage/failure caused by sludge or water ingestion.
- Fluid leaks and damage caused by fluid leaks.
- Taxes and NON-covered repair facility charges.
2. PROVISIONS OF THE SERVICE CONTRACT:
- The Service Contract is between the Service Contract Holder as identified on the contract (You) and Administrator/Obligor (CARS). The Service Contract is administered by CARS Protection Plus, Inc., 4431 William Penn Highway, Suite 1, Murrysville, PA 15668, toll-free 888-335-6838.
- You are responsible to contact CARS should You not receive a CARS I.D. card within 15 days of the purchase of the Service Contract.
- This Service Contract does NOT go into effect until: (1) this application is received by CARS Protection Plus, Inc. (“CARS”), (2) with proper payment, and (3) approved by CARS, which may be different than Your date of vehicle purchase. This Service Contract will last for the time period or mileage indicated, whichever occurs first, so long as You own the vehicle.
- Total cumulative benefits under the Service Contract will not exceed the NADA Clean Loan value at the date of the Service Contract acceptance (effective date), or the purchase price, whichever is less.
- CARS reserves the right to reject or cancel any application or Service Contract for cause as determined by CARS.
- Your odometer MUST display and function at all times. An inoperative cluster, odometer, and/or odometer display, voids the Service Contract without refund.
- Altered or modified vehicles are not covered and shall void the Service Contract.
- You are responsible for properly maintaining the vehicle in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications and to protect against further damage caused by continued operation or damage from overheating.
- Coverage is limited to the repair or replacement of any covered component found to be defective beyond manufacturer’s specifications, including failures resulting from normal wear and tear.
- The failure must occur while the Service Contract is in effect and the claim must be opened during CARS’ normal business hours M-F, 9 to 4:30 p.m., EST.
- CARS will arrange for payment of the amount of the authorized repair, less related charges not covered by the Service Contract, less a $100.00 deductible per claim.
- You must provide Your contract number when contacting CARS.
- CARS will not be responsible for any time lost, any inconvenience caused by the loss of use of Your vehicle, the quality of the repair by the repair facility or for any other incidental or consequential damages You may have.
- CARS does not allow any third party to create any obligation or liability in connection with the Service Contract.
- The selling dealer is NOT an agent of CARS.
- You may have additional state-specific rights.
- This Service Contract shall be interpreted and subject to the laws of the state where the sale of the vehicle took place regardless of where a claim or mechanical failure occurs or where You reside.
- Venue for all disputes shall be in the state in which the Service Contract was sold.
- CARS’ obligations under this contract are insured by Dealers Assurance Company (the “Insurer”), 240 N. 5th Street, Suite 350, Columbus, OH 43215, 800-282-8913. You are entitled to make a direct claim against the Insurer upon the failure of the Administrator/Obligor (CARS) to pay any covered claim within 60 days after a complete proof of loss has been filed with CARS.
- You must retain all vehicle maintenance/repair records for review by CARS.
- Coverage is superseded by any manufacturer’s warranty, TSB/factory bulletin, recall or warranty on a previous repair.
- CARS reserves the right to cancel the Service Contract if there has been a material misrepresentation or fraud on Your part or on Your behalf. In this instance, no refund shall be issued.
3. SERVICE CONTRACT CLAIM PROCEDURES:
- Your vehicle must be at a repair facility, within the continental United States, open to the public during normal business hours and capable to: perform tear-down to the point of component failure, determine the cause and extent of damage, and rebuild the component if CARS deems necessary. The vehicle must remain at the repair facility until repairs are complete. CARS reserves the right to have the repairs performed at a location other than the one You have selected.
- The repair facility MUST call CARS at 888-335-6838 to open a claim BEFORE any repairs have begun.
- A proper diagnosis shall include tear-down to the point of component failure, performed by the repair facility, to determine the cause of failure and the extent of damage and You are responsible for all charges.
- CARS has the right to inspect the vehicle. If not disassembled to show the cause of failure and the extent of damage, You will be responsible for all re-inspection costs.
- The repair facility MUST provide CARS with an estimate and obtain an authorization number BEFORE any repairs have begun.
- CARS has the option to select and/or supply used, rebuilt or aftermarket components when authorizing repairs.
- If it is determined a covered component has failed and an estimate for the repairs is approved by CARS, an authorization number will be issued for the repair. The authorization number is valid for 180 days from the date issued. After 180 days the authorization number and claim are void. No invoice will be processed without a valid authorization number, Your signature, repair facility’s warranty on repairs (if applicable) and repair facility’s identifying information.
4. SERVICE CONTRACT TRANSFER PROVISIONS:
- The Service Contract is transferable, by the original purchaser of the contract, to the subsequent owner of the vehicle provided CARS receives the transfer fee of $99.00 prior to the sale of the vehicle. CARS will not transfer the contract to another vehicle or to a business. The transferred Service Contract will remain in effect for the remainder of the original period.
- Without payment of the transfer fee, the Service Contract cannot be re-assigned and will be void at the time the vehicle is transferred.
- The new customer is responsible for all maintenance records from the original effective date of the Service Contract.
- The new customer will not be eligible for a refund.
5. CANCELLATION PROVISIONS:
- You have the right to cancel Your Service Contract up to 20 days from the effective date as stated on Your CARS I.D. card by providing a written request to cancel for a full refund, paid to Your dealer or lienholder, of the amount received by CARS, less any claims paid. This Service Contract will not be reinstated after a cancellation is requested.
- After 20 days, there is no refund for early termination except in the case of a total loss, as determined by the insurance carrier, or repossession by the lienholder as stated. If You are eligible for a refund, CARS shall refund to the dealer or lienholder a portion of the amount received by CARS for Your Service Contract on a monthly prorated basis, less an administration fee (not to exceed $50.00), as long as no claims have been made against the vehicle.
- If Your vehicle is altered or modified after purchase, and if a claim has been made, the Service Contract is cancelled and no refund shall be issued.
- The right to void the Service Contract is not transferable and applies only to the original Service Contract purchaser.